Here’s a great way to help your dog stay cool this summer while having loads of fun. This giant ice cube, that you make yourself, is packed with treats and toys that you chose for your dog. The fun keeps going even after the ice melts!
What you’ll need:
- A heavy-duty plastic container. Small buckets, large dog food or water bowl, a children’s pail or plastic storage containers work fine. Choose the size based on the size of your pet. For smaller dogs, choose a smaller size container and so on.
- Find toys that are durable and will stand up to freezing. Avoid plastic as they will become brittle and sharp and could injure your pet. Good choices include:*
Rope tug with bone Venison Joe’s femur bone
Antler Red Barn Bone
Kong Chuckit Ball
*All are available from Pet Supplies Plus.
- Choose foods that will hold up and not dissolve in water. Good choices include:*
Whimzees Dental Treat Pet Life Dental Treat
*Available from Pet Supplies Plus.
- If you your dog likes vegetables like carrots include these too.
- Water or chicken stock (makes a tastier treat!).
- Place the above toys, treats and veggies (if using) into the plastic bucket or container. Fill with water or chicken stock. Fill to about one inch from the top.
- Put the container in the freezer and freeze overnight or until solid.
- Pop the ice block out of the container and let the fun begin!
TIP: You may want to make several of these at once so that you are always ready for summertime doggie fun!